TESEP PD Workshop: RocksExpo 3-PD – INTRODUCING OUR DYNAMIC PLANET @ NYNGAN/HERMIDALE
RocksExpo 3-PD – INTRODUCING OUR DYNAMIC PLANET – 3-PD Critical Minerals – Renewable Energy (magnets for wind turbines, solar panels, electric cars), Our Place in Space & Rocks (Rock Kit Teaching Pack)
The RocksExpo experience includes–
1. Incursions – classroom lessons with students and teachers.
2. PD workshops – After-school professional development workshops for teachers (1- to 2-PD sessions @ $25 per attendee for visiting teachers, FREE to host-school teachers).
3. ASTA Certificate of attendance – A certificate of hours and workshop outcomes will be issued.
4. FREE rock kit – Host to receive a FREE rock kit and Plate Tectonics poster.
5. Introductory RocksExpo feature How to Use the Rock Kit and Teaching Pack (e.g. how to relate rock kit rocks to rock stories, 3D rendered samples, virtual thin sections and virtual outcrops).
6. Subsequent RocksExpo topics can be chosen from TESEP’s “The Challenging Earth” series 7. Excursions – possible trip to local field outcrops (dev a guide for teachers) – on request
Presenters: Phil Gilmore Phil Gilmore has expertise in geological mapping, the history of the Earth and minerals across Australia and Malte Ebach is an experienced palaeontologist.
Location: Nyngan High School, 19 Cobar St, Nyngan Meeting Room: sign in at front office
Meeting Room: sign in at front office
Date: Sat 10 Dec 2022
Fieldtrip: 8:45am–10:30am – meet at Hermidale PS, facilitator Rebekah Harris – Rock Stories, Hermidale/Aeris mine tour, (stories of the local rocks)
Workshops: Nyngan High School, 19 Cobar St, Nyngan Meeting Room: sign in at front office
11:15am – 1:15pm – Critical Minerals & Renewable Energy (electric cars/wind turbine magnets/touch screens, solar panels)
1:15pm – 1:45pm – lunch break
1:45 – 3:30pm – Our Place in Space
4:00 – 5:15pm – Rocks & Rock Stories (& How to Use the TESEP Rock Kit 3D renders, virtual thin sections, Rock Stories, virtual fieldtrip exposures)
Event Facilitator: Emma Wilson